What should you look for in a criminal lawyer?
Reputation, professional background, experience and skill – when it comes to finding the right criminal lawyer for your case, these qualities make a difference. Gwena L. Ozem brings all four to the table. Read below to learn more about her extensive and diverse qualifications, examples of cases tried, academic credentials and more.
Qualifications & Experience
- Member Law Society of Alberta: 1987 – present
- Member Law Society of Upper Canada (Ontario): 2003 – 2007
- Member Law Society of British Columbia: 2013 – present
- Obtained Top Secret clearance both through the ODPP and the RCMP.
- LL.B. Dalhousie University 1986
- Prize for general academic achievement (4th place in 1st year class)
- Prize for tying for 1st place in Property I.
- B.A. Queen’s University 1983
- Recipient Queen’s University Entrance Scholarship
- Double minor in Political Studies and History
- Tied for top place in Nativism in American History
Legal Employment History
- Federal Prosecutor, Edmonton and Ottawa (1998 – 2013)
- Provincial Prosecutor, Edmonton (1991-98)
- Instructor Medicine Hat College, Department of Business (1990-91)
- Private practice (1986-91)
Training & Lectures
Gwena L. Ozem has lectured to police services and provincial investigating agencies in the following areas:
- Child sexual assaults (statement taking),
- Sexual assaults (previous sexual history of complainant)
- Renovation fraud
- Several times at the Basic Proceeds of Crime Course and participated as a cross-examiner of affiants at the Search Warrant Course on several occasions.
- To the Proceeds Of Crime unit on legal issues impacting their investigations.
- Most recently, Gwena lectured to RCMP investigators at the Organized Crime course on POC and money laundering issues.
2003 – 2004 Singer Cora Ottawa
2005 – 2006 Singer Richard Eaton Singers
2008- 2012 Volunteer Sorrentino’s Compassion House
2013 to present Member Okanagan Business Excellence
2013 to present Member Rotary Daybreak
2013 to present Policy Chair for Westside Kelowna BC Liberals Riding Association Executive
2013 to present Participant Kelowna Downtown after Five
2013 to present Participant Kelowna Chamber of Commerce events